Saturday, February 6, 2010

Extra Topic: Descriptive and Prescriptive Claims

Another concept I found useful in the assigned readings for this week was the concept about prescriptive and descriptive claims. A claim is descriptive if it says what is and a claim is prescriptive if it says what should be (Epstein 24). An example of a descriptive claim would be Susie is hot. An example of a prescriptive claim would be Susie should put something cooler on. A perspective claim is often backed by a value judgment saying what should or shouldn’t be done. I think this is an important concept to learn because it fits hand in hand with subjective and objective claims. Before reading this chapter I didn’t know how important it was to be clear when speaking and how easy it is to be too vague when speaking. Also after reading this chapter I realize all the times that vague sentences are used everyday and it’s acceptable. From now on I want to be clearer when speaking and use more description in my sentences and statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment